In 1986 EFM sent missionaries to Rwanda, Africa, to open a new work. A yearly meeting developed that is now thirty-two years old and includes more than five thousand members. Evangelical Friends Church-Rwanda (EFC-R) continues to grow under its own leadership and with its own resources. There is currently one EFM missionary family in Rwanda: Brad, Chelsea, Sarai, Gideon, and the newest member of the family, Ian. They work with Evangelical Friends in Central Africa to create a movement of whole-life discipleship.
Aaron Mupenda, legal representative of EFC-R, answered the four questions I sent to missionaries and national leaders.
How is COVID-19 affecting those who live in the area where you live and minister?
- We are in the third week of lockdown.
- The country’s borders are closed.
- Church services, schools, and air travel are cancelled.
- The prices of everything have doubled.
How is this situation affecting the ministry you lead?
- None of our believers have been diagnosed with the Coronavirus.
- Because no one is working, and even before the virus some were already unemployed or had temporary jobs, they are suffering from hunger. We are trying the best we can to help them. The number is increasing.
What are some opportunities you are seeing for sharing the good news of Jesus Christ with those who don’t know him?
- Because there is no work many people are praying more.
- We are now sending God’s message in different ways: WhatsApp, Voice Note, radio, and television.
What are two or three prayer requests we can use to pray for you and those you lead?
- We need God’s intervention to stop the COVID-19.
- That church buildings will be opened as soon as possible.
- Also pray for the economy of the country and its people. The economy is damaged.
While we are providing this special round of updates to EFM’s largest email list (due to the world-wide impact of COVID-19), we will continue, as always, providing brief praise and prayer requests from each contributing field through our monthly EFM Prayer Letter. This is the easiest way to get regular, brief updates from missionaries and national leaders. If you do not currently receive the EFM Prayer Letter, we encourage you to subscribe by clicking the button below.