What is a future missionary? If you are a person who is seriously interested in exploring the idea of missionary service, whether that be for a couple of years or for a long term career, or if you are certain you are called to be a missionary overseas, EFM is calling you a “future missionary” and designing opportunities for you. The opportunities include:
- Future Missionary Retreats. We have one planned for May 24-27 at Quaker Ridge Camp, Woodland Park, Colorado. More details and registration below. We look forward to scheduling other retreats for future missionaries.
- Future Missionary Trips. We have one planned for June 30-July 13. More details and registration below. We look forward to scheduling other trips for future missionaries.
- Future Missionary Cohort. We look forward to announcing scheduled video conference gatherings soon.
- EFM Luke 10 Initiative. Below you will see Luke 10 Think Tank schedule. Soon we will be announcing Luke 10 Trip opportunities.
CONTACT: Please feel free to contact Matt Macy anytime at 316 706 5789 by text, voice or email.
EFM Future Missionary Retreat
An EFM Future Missionary Retreat has been scheduled for Monday evening May 24 through Thursday evening May 27 at Quaker Ridge Camp, Woodland Park, Colorado.
Register by May 1 here:
- Brad and Chelsea Carpenter are the lead mentors and retreat hosts for this retreat. Brad and Chelsea’s family are EFM missionaries from Central Africa living in Rwanda. You can read about their ministry here.
- COSTS: Your only cost is for travel to the retreat. EFM will reimburse you for half of your travel costs to participate in this retreat. We have an excellent travel agent, and we would be glad to help you secure travel as needed.
- Lodging and meals are provided by EFM, and the EFM donors who want to encourage and support you!
- TRAVEL PLANS: You can begin thinking about plans for travel to Quaker Ridge on Monday, May 24 and depart on Friday May 28.
- We ask that you not secure travel plans until after your registration has been accepted by Matt and you have a green light!
- Please plan to fly into Colorado Springs for us to shuttle you to Quaker Ridge. Please provide your flight itinerary to Krista Alvarez by May 7. If you find that flights to Colorado Springs are cost prohibitive, please contact us about the possibility of a shuttle from Denver.
- Matt will drive a van from Wichita to this Colorado retreat, and you can catch a ride on Monday by simply letting Matt Macy (316-706-5789) know so we can plan to meet you and include you. The van goes out on Monday and returns on Saturday as Matt finishes up EFM board meetings on Friday, so that gives you the day Friday to enjoy the mountains and/or rest and/or visit EFM board meetings a bit.
- This retreat will include the Thursday morning EFM National Luke 10 Think Tank. Read more about it here.
What to expect at an EFM Future Missionary Retreat
- Gather with and get to know other future missionaries and their stories. Worship and learn together. Lodging and meals are provided.
- Meet mentors, persons who have been missionaries who are willing to spend time with you to encourage you, provide teachings, and coach you in your journey from their life experience.
- Connect with opportunities for future missionaries, including meeting EFM Directors, EFM missionaries, and others in the Friends Church family who help send missionaries.
EFM Future Missionary Trip | June 30 – July 13
Register by May 14 here:
- Matt Macy, along with Maria Giron and Brad and Chelsea Carpenter will be giving leadership to this trip, along with other missionaries for a strong ratio of mentors to future missionaries.
- We will ask you to arrive to Houston International Airport on June 30, for team orientation on July 1, to fly to our destination on July 2 and depart for home via Houston on July 13. When it comes to actually booking your flights we will work with you on those details with our travel agent.
- You may be required to participate in virtual orientation and/or book reading, to be announced.
- COSTS and DEADLINES: The base registration cost owed to EFM is $1,800
- May 14: You will be asked to make a $100 non-refundable deposit when you register by May 14 for the trip, which will go towards your trip costs.
- After May 14: We will give you more information about the destination, along with further applicable information about orientation and the trip as soon as we are able!
- June 11: $900 due
- June 25: Final $800 due
- We will help you with advice and resources for fundraising for you to work at this to cover your costs for this trip. You will be blessed by people who want to support you!
- Base registration cost includes all airfare, transportation, meals, lodging and ministry expenses.
- Items not included with base registration:
- Your flight to and from Houston June 30/July 13.
- Passport costs. Click here for more info.
- Personal items necessary for trip.
- Personal spending money, souvenir money, and offering.
- Any minimal immunizations. We ask that you have a tetanus/diphtheria shot in the last 10 years. Check the CDC website for recommendations but understand that their recommendations are not required.
- You will need a passport with an expiration date that is at least 6 months later than the trip dates. Current COVID-19 guidelines is that a negative COVID test is required within 72 hours before travel.
- We don’t anticipate that this trip would need to be cancelled due to logistics of the pandemic, but we will certainly work with you and refund you of deposit or any refundable registration payments in the unlikely scenario that something changes due to the pandemic that makes it not possible for you or the trip to continue.
- The emphasis on this trip is not on the destination, or for you to decide whether you want to go based on where it is that we are going. Rather the emphasis is on the nature of the trip:
- to be with others who are serious about exploring or planning to serve as missionaries in the future.
- to be with EFM missionaries and mentors who will provide coaching, training, mentoring and engage in an ongoing relationship of encouragement to you.
- to be on an EFM mission field.
- to establish valuable relationships for the mutual benefits of all participants to the glory of God!
- we do not plan to reveal the trip destination to you until after you have registered. But we can assure you that we will be with you, with safety in mind, and with a desire for you to have an enriching experience that will not stretch you beyond what you can bear.
What to Expect on an EFM Future Missionary Trip
- Future missionaries going with mentors (missionaries and former Friends missionaries) to an EFM mission field.
- Serve the churches and groups that are established and join them in ministry experiences.
- Observe ministry work and learn discipling and multiplication methods.
- Receive an introduction to language learning methods, practicing with a personal on-site language helper.
- Experience cultural immersion, including a home-stay, and enjoy debriefing and learning with both nationals and missionaries.
- Participants will be asked to cover all of their costs, and EFM will provide assistance with a fundraising plan as needed.
EFM Luke 10 Initiative
Register by May 1 for the May 27 EFM National Think Tank here.
- Read about the Luke 10 Think Tanks and Luke 10 Trips here, and see what to expect.
- The Luke 10 Think Tanks are scheduled as follows
- March 27: Northwest by video conference call
- April 10: Mid America in Wichita
- April 27: Eastern Region in Canton
- May 8: Rocky Mountain in Denver
- May 27: EFM National Think Tank at Quaker Ridge Camp, Woodland Park, Colorado (the Future Missionary Retreat May 2021 includes this Think Tank)
EFM Future Missionary Cohort
We will announce details about how to join the Future Missionary Cohort as soon as possible, no later than at the time of the May 2021 Future Missionary Retreat!
What to Expect in an EFM Future Missionary Cohort:
- Stay connected with other future missionaries and experienced mentor-coaches.
- Connect regularly through virtual video meetings.
- Gain access to online conversation groups.