|If you are a person who is seriously interested in exploring the idea of missionary service, whether that be for a couple of years or for a long-term career, or if you are certain you are called to be a missionary overseas, EFM is calling you a “future missionary” and designing opportunities for you. Check out this video to learn more!|
Please help us plan and to know how to serve you, the future missionary, by completing our updated survey.
What is a future missionary? If you are a person who is seriously interested in exploring the idea of missionary service, whether that be for a couple of years or for a long-term career, or if you are certain you are called to be a missionary overseas, EFM is calling you a “future missionary” and designing opportunities for you. The opportunities EFM is providing for people in the U.S. include:
- Future Missionary Retreats. Our next annual retreat is scheduled for May 29-June 1, 2023, in Quaker Ridge, Colorado
- Future Missionary Trips. Our next training trip is being scheduled for the first two weeks of August 2023.
- Future Missionary Cohort. Find the video conference call link and other information below for the 2nd Monday of each month at 5 pm Pacific, 6 pm Mountain, 7 pm Central, 8 pm Eastern.
- EFM Luke 10 Initiative. EFM has identified the locations of 10 potential new fields that we are exploring, and we need and invite future missionaries to join us on these trips.
Why participate in these opportunities? We are observing that it is a mutual game-changer for groups of future missionaries and for groups of EFM mentors and for EFM staff to know each other face-to-face in relationship through retreats and trips.
CONTACT: Please feel free to contact Matt Macy anytime at 316 706 5789 by text, voice, or email.
EFM Future Missionary Retreat
SAVE THE DATES and make plans to join us! Our next annual retreat is being scheduled for May 29-June 1, 2023, at Quaker Ridge Camp and Conference Center, Woodland Park, Colorado. The retreat begins with dinner Monday evening May 29 and ends with lunch at noon on June 1. More schedule and logistics information will be provided with registration and confirmation communications.
You will find the registration link here once we open registration.
What to expect at an EFM Future Missionary Retreat:
- Please make plans to join us every year at the EFM Future Missionary Retreat! Find details and registration here for the next retreat in spring/summer 2023!
- Gather with and get to know other future missionaries and their stories. Worship and learn together.
- Meet mentors; people who have been missionaries who are willing to spend time with you to encourage you, provide teachings, and coach you in your journey from their life experience.
- Connect with opportunities for future missionaries, including meeting EFM Directors, EFM missionaries, and others in the Friends Church family who help send missionaries.
- COSTS: Your only cost is travel to the retreat. EFM will reimburse you for half of your travel costs to participate in this retreat. We have a travel agent and would be glad to help you secure travel as needed.
- Lodging and meals are provided by EFM and the EFM donors who want to encourage and support you!
EFM Future Missionary Trips
We are planning a Training Trip for the first 2 weeks of August 2023, give or take a few days as we finalize host and participant schedules. This is being planned for a new mystery destination, which will be revealed to you after you register.
Here is the link to register for the Future Missionary Training Trip in August 2023.
What to Expect on an EFM Future Missionary Trip
- Future missionaries going with other future missionaries and mentors (current and former Friends missionaries) to an EFM mission field.
- Serve the churches and groups that are established and join them in ministry and debriefing experiences.
- Observe ministry work and learn discipling and multiplication methods.
- Receive an introduction to language learning methods, practicing with a personal on-site language helper.
- Experience cultural immersion, including a homestay, and enjoy debriefing and learning with both nationals and missionaries.
- The emphasis on this trip is not on the destination, or for you to decide whether you want to go based on where it is that we are going. Rather the emphasis is on the nature of the trip:
- to be with others who are serious about exploring or planning to serve as missionaries in the future.
- to be with EFM missionaries and mentors who will provide coaching, training, and mentoring and engage in an ongoing relationship of encouragement to you.
- to be on an EFM mission field.
- to establish valuable relationships for the mutual benefit of all participants to the glory of God!
- We may not reveal the trip destination to you until after you have registered, but feel free to contact Matt as needed to gain insights. But we can assure you that we will be with you, with safety in mind, and with a desire for you to have an enriching experience that will not stretch you beyond what you can bear.
- Costs and Deadlines will be announced before registration opens up.
- Dates: First two weeks of August, give or take a few days
- Register by May 1
- Base registration cost: Around $2,500 per person
- Registration: You will be asked to make a $300 non-refundable deposit when you register for the trip, which will go towards your trip costs. On June 15, $700 is due and on July 20, the final $2,500 is due.
- After you register and pay your deposit, We will give you more information about the destination, along with further applicable information about orientation and the trip as soon as we are able!
- We will help you with advice and resources for fundraising to help you cover your costs for this trip. You will be blessed by people who want to support you!
- Base registration cost includes all airfare, transportation, meals, lodging, and ministry expenses.
- Items not included with base registration:
- Your flight to and from the departure city.
- Passport costs. Click here for more info. You will need a passport with an expiration date of 6 months later than the trip dates.
- Personal items necessary for the trip.
- Personal spending money, souvenir money, and offering.
- Any minimal immunizations. We ask that you have had a tetanus/diphtheria shot in the last 10 years. Check the CDC website for recommendations for destinations but understand that their recommendations are not required.
- You may be required to participate in virtual orientation and/or book reading, to be announced.
- We don’t anticipate that this trip would need to be canceled due to the logistics of the pandemic, but we will work with you and refund your deposit or any refundable registration payments in the unlikely scenario that something changes due to the pandemic that makes it not possible for you or the trip to continue.
EFM Luke 10 Initiative
Read about the Luke 10 Exploration Trips here, and see what to expect.
Here are the 10 Luke 10 Trip destinations being actively planned by 10 different planning and travel teams. We are completing exploration trips to the last destinations in early 2023 plus making plans for 2nd trips in 2023 before November 8, 2023, when we have a National EFM Luke 10 Think Tank with hopes to identify which fields EFM will commit to launching by the end of 2025 (goal is to launch at least 5 by end of 2025).
Please let email@example.com know which trips you would like to receive information on, to consider joining the exploration team. You are invited!
- Northern India | February 20-March 4, 2023
- Northeast Brazil | March 11-21, 2023
- Mexico | TBA
- Shuar People of Ecuador and Peru | TBA
- Greece | TBA
- Eastern Europe | TBA
- Tanzania | TBA
- South Sudan | TBA
- Nepali-speaking people in Dubai | TBA
- Lahu People of Thailand, Laos, etc. | TBA
EFM Future Missionary Cohort
Future Missionary Cohort virtual video teaching and discussion sessions are held each month on the 2nd Monday night at 5pm Pacific, 6pm Mountain, 7pm Central, 8pm Eastern (unless announced otherwise).
For this month’s video link and other details, visit this page.
At this time, cohorts are only available for US Citizens or residents. If you are interested and in another country, please email Matt Macy to discuss opportunities.
What to Expect in an EFM Future Missionary Cohort:
- Stay connected with other future missionaries and experienced mentor coaches.
- Connect regularly through virtual video meetings.