Please help us plan and to know how to serve you, the future missionary, by completing our updated survey.
What is a future missionary? If you are a person who is seriously interested in exploring the idea of missionary service, whether that be for a couple of years or for a long term career, or if you are certain you are called to be a missionary overseas, EFM is calling you a “future missionary” and designing opportunities for you. The opportunities include:
- Future Missionary Retreats. Our next retreat is scheduled for May 23-26, 2022 at Quaker Ridge Camp, Woodland Park, Colorado. Register online here. More details below. We look forward to scheduling other retreats.
- Future Missionary Trips. Registration for our August 2022 trip is now available! See below.
- Future Missionary Cohort. Find the video conference call link and other information below for the 2nd Monday of each month at 5pm Pacific, 6pm Mountain, 7pm Central, 8pm Eastern.
- EFM Luke 10 Initiative. Regional/yearly meeting Think Tanks and the National Think Tanks were held Spring 2021. We have identified the location of 11 potential new fields that we wish to explore, and we need future missionaries to join us on these trips. See the list below and complete the survey to let us know which destinations you would be interested in joining!
Why participate in these opportunities? We are observing that it is a mutual game-changer for groups of future missionaries and for groups of EFM mentors and for EFM staff to know each other face to face in relationship through retreats and trips.
CONTACT: Please feel free to contact Matt Macy anytime at 316 706 5789 by text, voice, or email.
EFM Future Missionary Retreat
An EFM Future Missionary Retreat is scheduled for Monday evening May 23 through Thursday noon May 26, 2022 at Quaker Ridge Camp, Woodland Park, Colorado.
What to expect at an EFM Future Missionary Retreat:
- Please make plans to join us every year at an EFM Future Missionary Retreat!
- Gather with and get to know other future missionaries and their stories. Worship and learn together.
- Meet mentors; people who have been missionaries who are willing to spend time with you to encourage you, provide teachings, and coach you in your journey from their life experience.
- Connect with opportunities for future missionaries, including meeting EFM Directors, EFM missionaries, and others in the Friends Church family who help send missionaries.
- COSTS: Your only cost is travel to the retreat. EFM will reimburse you for half of your travel costs to participate in this retreat. We have a travel agent and would be glad to help you secure travel as needed.
- Lodging and meals are provided by EFM and the EFM donors who want to encourage and support you!
EFM Future Missionary Trips
REGISTRATION for our August 2022 Trip is now open! Register here.
What to Expect on an EFM Future Missionary Trip
- Future missionaries going with other future missionaries and mentors (current and former Friends missionaries) to an EFM mission field.
- Serve the churches and groups that are established and join them in ministry and debriefing experiences.
- Observe ministry work and learn discipling and multiplication methods.
- Receive an introduction to language learning methods, practicing with a personal on-site language helper.
- Experience cultural immersion, including a homestay, and enjoy debriefing and learning with both nationals and missionaries.
- The emphasis on this trip is not on the destination, or for you to decide whether you want to go based on where it is that we are going. Rather the emphasis is on the nature of the trip:
- to be with others who are serious about exploring or planning to serve as missionaries in the future.
- to be with EFM missionaries and mentors who will provide coaching, training, mentoring and engage in an ongoing relationship of encouragement to you.
- to be on an EFM mission field.
- to establish valuable relationships for the mutual benefits of all participants to the glory of God!
- We may not reveal the trip destination to you until after you have registered, but feel free to contact Matt as needed to gain insights. But we can assure you that we will be with you, with safety in mind, and with a desire for you to have an enriching experience that will not stretch you beyond what you can bear.
- Costs and Deadlines will be announced before registration opens up.
- Dates: August 4-18 (subject to change as needed for best logistics/costs)
- Base registration cost: $3,300
- Register by June 1: You will be asked to make a $300 non-refundable deposit when you register for the trip, which will go towards your trip costs.
- After you register and pay your deposit, We will give you more information about the destination, along with further applicable information about orientation and the trip as soon as we are able!
- July 1: $1,500 due
- July 27: Final $1,500 due
- We will help you with advice and resources for fundraising to help you cover your costs for this trip. You will be blessed by people who want to support you!
- Base registration cost includes all airfare, transportation, meals, lodging and ministry expenses.
- Items not included with base registration:
- Your flight to and from departure city.
- Passport costs. Click here for more info. You will need a passport with expiration date 6 months later than trip dates.
- Personal items necessary for trip.
- Personal spending money, souvenir money, and offering.
- Any minimal immunizations. We ask that you have a tetanus/diphtheria shot in the last 10 years. Check the CDC website for recommendations to destination but understand that their recommendations are not required.
- You may be required to participate in virtual orientation and/or book reading, to be announced.
- We don’t anticipate that this trip would need to be cancelled due to logistics of the pandemic, but we will work with you and refund your deposit or any refundable registration payments in the unlikely scenario that something changes due to the pandemic that makes it not possible for you or the trip to continue.
EFM Luke 10 Initiative
Read about the Luke 10 Trips aqui, and see what to expect.
Here are the 11 Luke 10 Trip destinations being actively planned by 11 different planning and travel teams with hopes to get to all 11 sites for the first time by the end of 2022! Then follow up visits will be made over the next month/s or year as appropriate. Let us know which ones you are interested in by completing this survey.
- Shuar People of Ecuador and Peru | May 30-June 16, 2022
- Northeast Brazil | No Dates Yet
- Mexico | April 19- 29, 2022
- Eastern Europe | June 15-22, 2022
- Greece | May 30-June 22, 2022
- South Sudan | October 2022
- Tanzania | June 16-23, 2022
- Morocco| No Dates Yet
- Nepali speaking people in Dubai | End of October 2022
- Northern India | No Dates Yes
- Lahu People of Thailand, Laos, etc. | No Dates Yet
EFM Future Missionary Cohort
Future Missionary Cohort virtual video teaching and discussion sessions are held each month on the 2nd Monday night at 5pm Pacific, 6pm Mountain, 7pm Central, 8pm Eastern (unless announced otherwise).
For this month’s video link and other details, visit this page.
At this time, cohorts are only available for US Citizens or residents. If you are interested and in another country, please email Matt Macy to discuss opportunities.
What to Expect in an EFM Future Missionary Cohort:
- Stay connected with other future missionaries and experienced mentor-coaches.
- Connect regularly through virtual video meetings.
- Gain access to online conversation groups.