EFM is excited about partnering with EFC-Africa to sponsor a conference, hosted by Burundi Friends, from April 21-29, to coach each other in establishing strong and healthy missions-sending practices. EFC-Africa has been asking for input from EFM as we partner with EFC-Rwanda to start a new mission field in South Sudan and with EFC-Burundi to start a new mission field in Tanzania.
These activities lean into the second part of EFM’s Five-Year goal, which inspires multiplication movements:
To send 10 new missionary households from North America to launch 5 new fields by 2025. In launching these new fields we will pursue partnerships with Evangelical Friends groups on other continents who share our vision and wish to work with us.
This conference, hosted at Kibimba in Burundi, involves 52 delegates from 12 countries. In addition to eight delegates from EFC-Rwanda and eight delegates from each of the Kwibuka and Kibimba Yearly meetings in EFC-Burundi, we also have guests from other EFC-Africa yearly meetings including four from Congo, two from Uganda, and two from Tanzania.
Other guests and presenters at the conference include:
- Two from the missions board of EFC-Central America (from Guatemala and El Salvador) to tell their story of sending missionaries to Cambodia
- Three from FUM (from Kenya and Tanzania) to tell their story of missions sending, including sending to Tanzania and South Sudan
- Four from Global Disciples to introduce their Small Business Development training in business as mission strategy to the unreached (trainers from Nigeria, Kenya, Bangladesh, and from the US, Eric Fleck, Wabash Friends Church, IYM)
- One pastor from EFC-Coahuila, Mexico
- Nine from the US, including Dan Cammack (EFM Field Director), Matt Macy (EFM Director of Mobilization), Thayne Thompson (EFC-MAYM Superintendent), Jim LeShana (NWYM Superintendent), Chris Stanfield (Pastor at Paonia Friends Church, RMYM), David Thomas (EFM Missionary), Brad Carpenter (EFM Missionary), Thomas Moore (Short-Term Missionary in Rwanda), and Luke Macy (EFC-MAYM and photographer). These guests go to tell the story of EFM’s missions sending, plus to witness, listen, and learn.
Purpose of 2023 Central Africa Missions-Sending Learning Conference
As we discover opportunities for growth we may find where we could receive some coaching or training to strengthen our unity and capacity in missions-sending strategy framework and learn where healthy partnerships might be helpful.
We hope that each yearly meeting present will be able to answer the following questions:
Thank you for praying for this special gathering, that the Lord of the Harvest would guide us and inspire action and obedience in us, as we discover further how to be faithful in the sending out of workers into his fields.
The Conference Planning Team
Aaron Mupenda (EFC-Africa Director and EFC-Rwanda Legal Representative), Louis Pasteur Nizigiyimana (EFC-Burundi Legal Representative), Domitien Sabongerwa (EFC-Burundi Missions Liaison), Brad Carpenter (EFM Missionary to Central Africa), and Matt Macy (EFM Director of Mobilization)